Crock-Pot Slow Cooker Recipe Whitehorse YT
Crock-Pot Slow Cooker Recipe
(NC)-"Busy Canadians find it hard to make one homemade dinner a week, never mind seven!" says Korey Kealey, food specialist, Food Thought Communications. "With some planning and a versatile kitchen tool - a Crock-Pot slow cooker - at-home chefs can make a tasty dinner, and then use the leftovers as a base for another delicious meal."
Slow-cooked BBQ Pulled Pork makes for a kid-friendly dinner, while leftovers become the base for Hearty Southwest Soup. Cook, heat and serve the pulled pork buffet-style directly in the slow cooker. The new Crock-Pot Smart-Pot has a hinged lid making it easy for family members to serve themselves. The Crock-Pot Double Dipper is the perfect tool for keeping two sides, like refried beans, cheese sauce or sautéed onions, warm. Garnishes like guacamole, sour cream, hot sauces, lettuce and tomatoes provide lots of selection, allowing everyone to create their own personal sandwich.
BBQ Pulled Pork
2 3 lb. boneless pork rib roasts
2 onions, quartered
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 bottle dark beer, divided
3 cups BBQ sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
Buns or flour tortillas
1. Season pork roasts on all sides with salt and pepper. Brown roast on all sides in a non-stick skillet. Place onions, carrots and celery into slow cooker; top with browned roast.
2. De-glaze skillet with 1/4 cup beer, pour liquid and remaining beer over roast in slow cooker. Cover; cook on High for 4 to 6 hours or Low for 8 to 10 hours.
3. Remove roasts, reserve. Strain liquid into container, discarding vegetables. Reserve 1 cup pork broth. Refrigerate remaining broth for Hearty Southwest Soup.
4. Place roast back into slow cooker, using 2 forks, shred pork until it is completely pulled apart, discard as much excess fat as possible; add reserved 1 cup pork broth and barbecue sauce; combine well; cover, set to Warm.
5. Serve buffet-style with buns or tortillas and all the fixings.
Hearty Southwest Soup
6 cups broth: pork, chicken, beef (or a combination)
2 cups BBQ pulled pork mixture
1 can (19 fl oz) black beans, drained, rinsed
1 1/2 cups low-fat refried beans
1 1/2 cups finely chopped carrots
1 cup celery finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1. Place broth, BBQ pulled pork, beans, carrots and celery into slow cooker. Cover; cook on High for 4 to 6 hours.
2. Add cilantro just before serving.
More family recipes can be found online at crock-pot.ca.