Eating in restaurants made healthy & easy Iqaluit NU
Eating in restaurants made healthy & easy
(NC)-Your will-power is usually put to the test when eating out. With so many menu options, making a healthy choice is no easy feat. Canadians have become more health- conscious about what they eat when they are at home and eating out should be no different.
Here are some tips when eating out:
1. Watch your portion size. Order an appetizer as your entrée or take the leftovers home.
2. Start off with a mixed salad in a balsamic vinaigrette. Or head to the salad counter and fill your plate with veggie sticks and fresh fruit.
3. Load up your sandwich with veggie toppings like lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers.
4. Choose lower-fat milk or fruit juice instead of pop.
5. Order a side dish of vegetables if they're not included with the main entrée.
6. At the deli counter choose whole grain breads or buns instead of white bread or croissants.
The Heart and Stroke Foundation's Health Check program can also help you make healthy choices when eating out. The program ensures that each menu item identified with the Health Check symbol has been evaluated by the Heart and Stroke Foundation's registered dietitians and meets nutrient standards based on Canada's Food Guide. To view participating restaurants, visit healthcheck.org.