General Management Winnipeg MB
The General Management of any business is primarily responsible for the success or failure of the entire enterprise.
"The buck stops here..." is how President Harry Truman once described his ultimate responsibility for federal government policies and actions. And this expression is also true for any business enterprise also: The "buck stops" with top business management, including the chief executive and his or her entire general management team.
In particular, the general management of any business has responsibility for strategic planning, direction, and decisions; for effective organizing, staffing, and controls; and for leading, coordinating, and motivating all company workers.
On a day-to-day basis, members of a company's general management team will focus on activities such as the:
- Preparation and execution of business plans, policies, and procedures;
- Direction and supervision of all company employees as well as any outside providers of professional or other contract services;
- Organization and efficiency of company production and/or service operations;
- Oversight of marketing and sales progress;
- Performance of essential financial functions, such as budgeting, accounting, and cash flow management;
- Performance of key administrative support personnel, human resources personnel, and information technology and other communications personnel;
- Maintenance of company facilities, equipment and supplies; and
- Ongoing communication with customers, clients and other business contacts.
What kind of jobs and careers fit the needs of general management? Some occupations to consider include:
- General and operations managers
- Purchasing managers
- Marketing managers
- Sales managers
- Public relations managers
- Management analysts
And needless to say, the chief executive officer position or a corporate vice-presidency might also be in the future for those with the education, talent, skills, and experience necessary for these highest-level business management positions.
American business is dynamic - with many thousands of companies being established, growing, or closing-down each year. As a result, American business continually offers new general management employment opportunities for thousands of individuals.