Health Supplements Iqaluit NU
Parry Sound, ON
Candy snacking may reduce bacteria on teeth
New research shows that incorporating the tooth-protecting sugar substitute xylitol into gummy bears may prevent dental problems.
The children in a University of Washington study were given four bears three times a day, containing different concentrations of xylitol. The results show that after six weeks of gummy bear snacking, the levels of harmful bacteria in the plaque on the children's teeth was significantly reduced.
Xylitol is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol that is frequently used as a sweetener. While xylitol chewing gums are available, they are not considered to be suitable for younger children. -- University of Washington
It’s time to quit smoking
It's well known that smoking causes cancer. But did you know that smoking may also raise your risk for type 2 diabetes? Or that it's a major factor in nearly half of heart attacks? It's never easy to stop smoking, but millions of people have quit - and you can, too. Now might be the time to give it a try.
Here are some tips to get smoke-free:
- Make a Plan. Write down the reasons you want to stop smoking.
- Choose your official "Quit Day." Then throw away matches, lighters and ashtrays.
- Get Help. Quitting cold turkey works for some. But more succeed by blunting the discomfort of withdrawal. Nicotine replacement therapy can help.
- Get Support. When you're fighting the urge to smoke, don't go it alone. To speak with a counselor, call the National Network of Tobacco Cessation Quitlines at 1-800-QUITNOW (1-800-784-8669) or the National Cancer Institute's Smoking Quitline at 1-877-44U-QUIT (1-877-448-7848).
- Stay Strong. The urge to smoke lasts about four minutes. Do what you can to wait it out. Stay strong, day-by-day, until you're smoke-free for a full seven days. Then treat yourself with that new CD you've been wanting. After three months, the chances that you'll smoke again drop sharply.
A poll of 100 centenarians from across America revealed their tips for healthy aging.
- Stay close to your family and friends.
- Keep your mind active.
- Laugh and have a sense of humor.
- Stay in touch with your spirituality.
- Continue looking forward to each new day.
- Keep moving and exercising.
- Maintain a sense of independence.
- Eat right.
- Keep up with news and current events.
- Make new friends.
-- Evercare 100@100 Survey
Number to Know: 20.5 million
20.5 million Americans age 40 and older have cataracts -- American Academy of Ophthalmology
Tips for lawn mower safety:
- Try to use a mower with a control that stops the mower from moving forward if the handle is let go.
- Children younger than 16 years should not be allowed to use ride-on mowers. Children younger than 12 years should not use walk-behind mowers.
- Make sure that sturdy shoes (not sandals or sneakers) are worn while mowing.
- Prevent injuries from flying objects, such as stones or toys, by picking up objects from the lawn before mowing begins. Have anyone who uses a mower wear hearing and eye protection.
- Do not pull the mower backward or mow in reverse unless absolutely necessary, and carefully look for children behind you when you mow in reverse.
- Always turn off the mower and wait for the blades to stop completely before removing the grass catcher, unclogging the discharge chute, or crossing gravel paths, roads, or other areas.
- Do not allow children to ride as passengers on ride-on mowers.
-- American Academy of Pediatrics
A Chicago-area orthopedic surgeon says patients who have received a hip or knee replacement can avoid future invasive surgeries by getting a yearly X-ray.
An X-ray can detect early signs of wear in new joints, Dr. Paul Nourbash says. Detected early, surgeons can often correct the problem simply by replacing the plastic liner that buffers the joint. However, if the problem's not detected, surgeons must replace both ends of the joint.
The procedure to replace the joint buffer is a shorter surgery with fewer chances of complications, while replacing an entire joint is major surgery that requires more time in the hospital as well as physical therapy. -- Barrington Orthopedics
GateHouse News Service
Health SupplementsAuthor: Macgrath
By taking certain health supplements, aging, diabetes, heart disease, blood pressure and cholesterol can be controlled. These supplements can also increase energy levels, making it easier to be more physically active. With these same health supplements, heart circulation, energy and strength can be increased, again allowing people to be more physically active.
Omega 3 is probably the most researched nutritional supplement in the world. The astounding health benefits of omega-3 have been studied by some of the most prestigious institutions and their findings have been reported in literally thousands of the world's best peer-reviewed medical and scientific journals. The two most important omega 3 fatty acids that help support a healthy heart are eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
Food is good enough to keep us alive but apparently not good enough to fix us when we are sick. Nutritional supplements are necessary because the foods most of us eat are grown in mineral-depleted soils. There is evidence that increased intake of certain nutrients reduces the incidence of heart disease, cancer and stroke. The good word from these nutritional authorities is simple: we live longer and healthier if we exercise, have a good diet and supplement.
The herb ephedra (which is found in all dietary product and weight loss pills) and its extracts ephedrine and pseudo-ephedrine, found in over-the-counter cold remedies, can cause nervousness, insomnia, headache, and high blood pressure. Alkaloids, including substances such as caffeine, morphine, and quinine, which increase blood pressure and heart rate, all are to be avoided.
Saturated fat causes the liver to overproduce cholesterol. The liver makes about 75 percent of the cholesterol your body needs from internal sources, while the remaining 25 percent comes from food. But when you eat too much saturated fat, your liver keeps producing cholesterol and you end up with much more cholesterol than you need.
Clinical trials have attempted to study the relationship between CoQ10 and many chronic diseases including, but not limited to, heart disease, cancer and AIDS. But heart disease has gained the most attention; congestive heart failure being one of the primary subjects. Because heart muscle cells require so much energy to function and CoQ10 is at the core of the cellular energy process it makes sense to suspect that congestive heart failure might be linked to CoQ10 deficiency.
The overwhelming new cases of diabetes in the world today are the result of insulin resistance. Physicians are busy treating blood sugars rather than the underlying problem, the insulin resistance. Diet, exercise, and potent nutritional supplements all improve sensitivity to your own insulin and are critical in preventing diabetes from occurring in the first place or, if you already have diabetes, helping control your diabetes.
Stress has also been proven as a heavy contributor to health problems. B vitamins have been shown in many tests and trials to reduce stress through increasing serotonin in he brain and therefore elevating moods. A happier person is generally a healthier person with a better quality life and in turn a healthier heart.
Fish consumption and heart disease has been a topic of innumerable studies. One research project combined data taken from several such studies including the Chicago Western Electric Study, the Zutphen, Rotterdam and Swedish studies and the Study of U.S. Physicians among others. The goal of this research was to examine the relationship between fish consumption and the 30-year risk of death from coronary disease.
Read about how to reduce cellulite . Also read about cellulite cream and lower blood pressure supplements
About the Author:
Read about World no1 site AyurvedicCure.com also refers exercises, massage, aroma therapies as one of the home remedies.