Healthy Diet Ideas Edmonton AB
Personal Training Specialist TurboKick instructor
Healthy Diet Ideas
Dieting and Fertility
Study: Obese men should lose weight before trying for baby
Researchers in Scotland say they’ve found evidence that obese men should consider losing weight if they want to have children.
Scientists at the University of Aberdeen found that men with a higher body mass index make less sperm and have a higher proportion of abnormal sperm. The study follows recent research that shows obese women are more likely to have problems conceiving.
"Our findings were quite independent of any other factors," said Dr. A Ghiyath Shayeb, "and seem to suggest that men who are trying for a baby with their partners, should first try to achieve an ideal body weight.” -- European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology
Drug marketers prohibited from passing out pens
Come next year, doctors may start to see a problem they've yet to experience: a pen shortage.
According to wire reports, new guidelines released by the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America prohibit drug makers from giving out pens, as well as other "non-educational" items such as mugs, to health-care providers and their staff.
As part of its revised code, the pharmaceutical trade organization determined that such items, which usually are adorned with a company or product logo, could foster misperceptions that these interactions with health-care professionals "are not based on informing them about medical and scientific issues."
Inline skating can burn as many calories per minute as cycling or running. Its low-impact, gliding strokes apply less injury-causing stress to the lower body joints than other sports such as aerobics or tennis.
The National Safety Council recommends these skating safety tips:
- Always wear protective equipment: elbow and knee pads, light gloves, helmets, and wrist guards.
- Choose durable skates that match your needs. For proper ankle support, feel the plastic of the boot: if you can squeeze it, the material is not strong enough to give you reliable support.
- Start skating gradually on level ground. Practice moving forward, and ease into skating. While skating, keep knees slightly bent, which will lower your center of gravity and keep your body balanced on the balls of your feet.
- Practice stopping by bringing the foot with the heel stop forward until the heel stop is next to the toe of the other foot. Gently bend your front knee while lifting your toes up. This motion will bring you to a stop. This is known as the "heel stop."
Number to Know: 2.3
Researchers found that for every 10 percent increase in gas prices there was a 2.3 percent decline in auto deaths.
Professors Michael Morrisey of the University of Alabama at Birmingham and David Grabowski of Harvard Medical School said for drivers ages 15 to 17, the decline was 6 percent, and for ages 18 to 21, it was 3.2 percent.
Traveling by car with your family this summer? Keep your kids safe in the car with these tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics:
- Always use a car safety seat for infants and young children.
- All children younger than 13 years of age should ride in the rear seat of vehicles.
- Set a good example by always wearing a seat belt.
- Plan to stop driving and give yourself and your child a break about every two hours.
- Never leave your child alone in a car, even for a minute. Temperatures inside the car can reach deadly levels in minutes, and the child can die of heat stroke.
- In addition to a travelers' health kit, parents should carry safe water and snacks, child-safe hand wipes, diaper rash ointment, and a water- and insect-proof ground sheet for safe play outside.
Although colorectal cancer screening tests are proven to reduce colorectal cancer mortality, only about half of U.S. men and women 50 and older receive the recommended tests, according to The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
A survey found only 50 percent of men and women 50 and older had received screening in 2005. Although this was an improvement over the 43 percent of screened individuals reported in 2000, it is still far from optimal, researchers said.
The CDC said the availability of health insurance, education, household income and frequency of physician contact influenced the use of colorectal cancer screening tests.
GateHouse News Service
Healthy Diet Ideas
Protein Works – 10 Tricks to Satisfy Cravings without Blowing Your DietAuthor: Gerry Morton
Physically, it's usually over-carbing (eating too many refined carbs or eating carbs without healthy protein and fats to stabilize them) that leads to a sugar rush, that leads to insulin release, that leads to a sugar drop, that leads to "starvation mode," that leads to you wanting to grab the cookies.
Emotionally, it's your need to make a feeling go away that leads you to eat cookies. The solution here is an arsenal of healthy tools to keep the self-defeating eating at bay until you can find a healthy solution.
1. Eat the optimum ratio of foods at every meal. What's optimum? A fist-size of premium protein (whey powder, fish), a fist-size of unprocessed carbs (powdered greens, leafy greens) and a thumb-size of healthy fats (raw seeds, omega oil). This "Fist, Thumb, Fist Rule" ensures a fast metabolism and stable blood sugar. Have an optimum ratio protein breakfast shake with green powder and omega oil to curb hunger right off the bat.
3. Gotta have a snack? Make it a blood sugar stabilizer, like protein bars or chocolate whey powder shakes. One tastes like a chocolate bar, the other tastes like a chocolate shake! And if you add green powder and omega oil to your "chocolate shake," you have a chocolate shake with the nutritional value of salmon and spinach.
5. Let yourself have one or two cookies without guilt. Then destroy the bag. If you know you're going to blow it once in a while, accept it. Enjoy it. Then curb it. You'll be less likely to have a major pig out.
7. Do something to get yourself out of pig out mode, just for now. Eating to cover stress, anger or boredom? Do something that gives you joy or let's you vent that isn't as self-defeating as a bag of cookies. Go for a walk, call a friend, meditate, watch TV or read a rag mag. The mood and cravings will pass. The more you substitute overeating with healthy solutions, the less likely you'll be to engage in self-destructive behavior the next time.
9. Stay active. Exercise releases endorphins that can make you feel just as good as a bag of cookies and actually make you less hungry in the short term.
Ready to get off the overeating bandwagon? Plan ahead for craving control by going to EnergyFirst.com for awesome high protein snacks, breakfast whey protein shake ingredients and other craving substitutes that really work (and taste amazing!!)...
About the Author:
Gerry Morton is the CEO of EnergyFirst, leading provider of top-quality nutritional supplements and cutting-edge, science-based health and nutrition education since 1997.Click http://EnergyFirst.com for awesome high protein snacks, breakfast whey protein shake ingredients and other craving substitutes that really work (and taste amazing!!), like chocolate protein bars. What works best for craving control are protein shakes with proven hunger-curbing whey protein powder and other yummy ingredients, like omega 3 oil and green drink powder. Healthy protein shakes are so delicious and will help stop the pig outs so you get the body you want. All EnergyFirst® supplements and vitamins come with a money-back guarantee.