Microwave Steam-Cook Recipe Halifax NS
Microwave Steam-Cook Recipe
(NC)-These days, a microwave can be found in almost every kitchen. And consequently, there is a myriad of foods available that are made specifically for microwaves, all meant to be convenient and fast. Unfortunately, convenient and fast don't always go hand in hand with flavour or nutrition.
With the innovation of the microwave, the time required for food preparation has significantly decreased, allowing for meats to be thawed in minutes and veggies cooked in seconds. However, the art of "nuking" can be challenging, sometimes leaving foods rubbery and limp.
Often overlooked are the ease, simplicity and tasty option of steaming. Steaming is a cooking method thought to date back to before the discovery of fire, when foods were cooked over hot springs or stones. Many cultures around the world have been steam cooking for thousands of years.
Steaming is no quirky fad, rather it is a tried and tested, versatile and rewarding method of cooking. And steam cooking has been given a contemporary twist with the introduction of innovative steam cooking bags like Ziploc Zip `n Steam, which combine the convenience of the microwave with the taste and nutritional benefits of steam cooking. With these steam cooking bags, you can create fresh, inspired meal solutions with your favourite ingredients including produce, poultry and seafood. The results are healthier, steam-cooked meals that are both flavourful and quick and easy to prepare.
Chili Lime Cod
Ingredients: Makes 2 Servings
1 cod fillet (240 to 360 g (8 to 12 oz)), about 1.5 cm (1/2 in) thick, cut in half or 2 cod tenderloins (180 g (6 oz)) each, about 2.5 cm (1 in) thick
30 mL (2 tbsp) freshly squeezed lime juice
30 mL (2 tbsp) melted butter
15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
5 mL (1 tsp) vegetable oil
2.5 mL (1/2 tsp) chili powder
2.5 mL (1/2 tsp) garlic powder
1.25 mL (1/4 tsp) salt
Pinch cayenne pepper (about 0.25 mL (1/16 tsp))
1. In a small bowl prepare rub with the vegetable oil, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
2. Spoon the rub on top of cod, spreading evenly. If needed, tuck any thin parts of fillet underneath for even cooking.
3. Put prepared cod in a large Ziploc Zip `n Steam microwave steam cooking bag, placing thicker portions toward outer edge of bag. Seal bag and place in microwave.
4. Cook on full power for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or until cod is cooked through and flakes easily. Use 3 1/2 minutes for 1.5 cm (1/2 in) thick pieces and 4 minutes for 2.5 cm (1 in) thick pieces. If needed, continue microwaving at 30 second intervals until cod is done.
5. Allow bag to stand 1 minute before handling. Carefully open bag. Use spatula to remove cod from bag.
6. Spoon 30 mL (2 tbsp) freshly squeezed lime juice over cod. Garnish with 15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley and serve with 30 mL (2 tbsp) melted butter, if desired.