Nutrition Tips Saint John NB
Saint John, NB
Saint John, NB
Grand-Sault/Grand Falls, NB
Body Shape and Health
Studies have shown that body shape has an impact on a person's health.
There are many ways to describe a person's body shape. The shapes of certain fruits are sometimes used as descriptions, such as pear, apple or banana.
An apple-shaped person has more fat in the upper body and increased abdominal fat.
A pear-shaped body has more fat in the lower body and it is not concentrated in the abdomen.
There are other descriptions of body types.
An endomorph body type has big bones with more fat than muscle. The fat is frequently in the abdomen.
A mesomorph body type is more muscular and the fat is usually evenly distributed, although more can be located on the hips.
An ectomorph body shape is long and slim with small hips and waist.
Repeated studies have shown that there is a greater chance of having heart disease and diabetes if you have an apple shape or an endomorph type of body.
These chances decrease with a pear-shaped body and the fat is not concentrated in the abdomen.
A person with an ectomorph body shape has less chance of heart disease.
Let's move from body shape to the shape of a specific part of the body the thighs.
A recent study looked into whether or not the amount of fat in a person's thighs had any effect on their life span.
The findings were not what one would have expected.
The researchers determined that the presence of an increased amount of fat in the thighs was not associated with a shorter life span.
Their findings were just the opposite.
People with thinner thighs were the ones who had a shorter life span, dying earlier than those with fat thighs.
A thin thigh was defined as thighs that measured less than 24 inches. People whose thighs were very thin, measuring less than 18 inches, were more than twice as likely to die during the 12-year study.
As usual, more studies are needed before it can be concluded that thigh measurements are a useful predictor of health.
Massachusetts-based Dr. Murray Feingold is the physician in chief of the National Birth Defects Center, medical editor of WBZ-TV and WBZ radio, and president of the Genesis Fund. The Genesis Fund is a nonprofit organization that funds the care of children born with birth defects, mental retardation and genetic diseases.
MetroWest Daily Newsauthor: Dr. Murray Feingold
5 Nutrition Tips which can improve your HealthAuthor: Tucker
- Tip number one is switching refined grain products for whole grain products. Refined grains are nothing more than empty calories. They have no nutritional value aside from the calorie punch. Whole grains on the other hand are very beneficial to your health and easily attainable through breads, cereals, and pasta.
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. This is a very well known approach to a healthy body. We all know that fresh produce is laden with vitamins and minerals.
- Eat more fish. It is recommended that people consume fish at least twice a week.
- Eat more lean meat. Whenever poultry is concerned, be sure that it is skinless and free of fat. As far as beef goes, always choose grass fed beef. Grass fed beef contains less fat than corn fed beef.
- Eat low fat dairy. Any type of dairy (from yogurt to milk) is available in low fat form. Always chose low fat over standard dairy.
These are just some of the tips which will help you lose weight and attain a healthy body. When our bodies are healthy we have more energy to be physically active and attain our quick weight loss goals. However, if you struggle with your appetite try all natural hoodia appetite suppressants. They reduce your hunger naturally and help you reach your desired weight. So don’t be afraid to take the first step towards a healthier body and improve your eating habits today!
About the Author:
Tucker Moore enjoys writing articles relating to diet, health, fitness and nutrition. Her skills include unearthing the natural medicinal and weight loss benefits of natural supplements, diet pills, and herbal remedies.