Breast Cancer and Mushrooms Yellowknife NT
Branch with ABM
Hay River, NT
Monday: 09:30 - 16:00
Tuesday: 09:30 - 16:00
Wednesday: 09:30 - 16:00
Thursday: 09:30 - 16:00
Friday: 09:30 - 17:00
Monday: 09:00 - 16:00
Tuesday: 09:00 - 16:00
Wednesday: 09:00 - 16:00
Thursday: 09:00 - 16:00
Friday: 09:00 - 17:30
Fort Smith, NT
Branch with ABM
Breast Cancer and Mushrooms
(NC)-Cancer statistics are never pretty. But the good news is research shows that 30 to 35 percent of all cancers can be prevented by eating well, being active and not being overweight. Along with physical activity and not smoking, healthy eating is one of the cornerstones for helping to prevent cancer.
The Canadian Cancer Society recommends choosing 5 to 10 servings of vegetables and fruit every day to reap the benefits of their disease-fighting antioxidants and phytochemicals. As they are low in calories and fat, have very little carbohydrate and provide some fibre, fresh mushrooms are a delicious way to eat healthy. In addition, emerging research also suggests that mushrooms and mushroom extracts may have potent anticancer activity against breast cancer.
Fresh Mushrooms Can Help!
Altered aromatase activity
• Conjugated linoleic acid extracted from mushrooms may slow down the activity of aromatase, an enzyme that is needed for making estrogen. According to the Canadian Cancer Society, high levels of estrogen are associated with a higher risk of breast cancer in post-menopausal women.
• Large mushrooms were found to be the strongest inhibitors of aromatase activity. Shiitake, white button mushrooms, portabella, crimini and baby button mushrooms also showed significant inhibitory effects.
• The study's authors suggest that consuming 3.5 ounces (100g) of mushrooms per day would help suppress breast tumor growth in women. However, much more research, including human studies, needs to be done before any specific recommendations can be made.
Adding More Mushrooms is Easy!
• Mix in 1/2 cup chopped crimini mushrooms into stuffing.
• Add some pizzazz to chili or lasagna by adding 1 cup sliced white button mushrooms.
• Toss 1/2 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms into stir-fries.
Braised Chicken with Fennel in Mushroom Wine Sauce
For more nutrition information, great tips and delicious recipes visit www.mushrooms.ca.
- News Canada